FYI I’m no expert on pizza. Lots if YouTube videos helped me achieve the result. I will put up the links here too.😊
I grew up in a small town near Mangaluru(Mangalore). And growing up didn’t see a lot if junk food. Fried samosas, cutlets would constitute to junk food then. Then came gobi Manchurian. God we loved having that.
I was introduced to pizza’s sometime in 2004-5. And I remember this was probably when Domino’s pizza, Pizza Hut opened up in Mangalore. Our visits to Manoeuvre were generally limited to visiting Ideals ice-cream parlor. More about it some other time 😁.
The first ever pizza I had was from Cochin bakery. And frankly now that I have tasted some other amazing pizzas that was not remotely related to Pizza. However everyone has their own interpretation. My most favorite pizzas till day remain from Domino’s. I love their cheese burst pizzas.
Coming back to the recipe. Here it goes.
Serves 4 slices
2cups wheat flour
2 cups all purpose flour/maida
Olive oil 3 tsp
Dry yeast 1-2 tbsp
Basil leaves 8-10
Mozzarella cheese 1 cup grated
- Sieve wheat flour and maida into a vessel.Add pinch of salt,a tsp of olive oil into the mixture.
- In a warm glass of water add dry yeast and mix well till yeast is completely dissolved. The mixtures is thicker at the bottom of the glass.
- If required add 1/2 tap of pizza seasoning into the flour mixture. Now add the yeast mixture into the flour and start making the dough.
- Knead the dough very well. The dough should not be sticky. To test , you can press a finger in the dough if the dough bounces back to its shape at the pressed point once u release your finger the dough is ready. If not knead some more.
- Now keep the dough for proofing foe around 2 hours. Place it on a surface with some semolina.
- After 2 hours knead the dough some more to remove the air.
- Now roll the dough according to required thickness. If u love thin crust pizza you can cut the dough and make 2 pizza’s. I like thick crust one so I rolled it that way. You can use a rolling pin/belan to roll it or use your hands.
- Meanwhile preheat oven at 180℃ for 15-20 mins.
- Now bake the crust for 20 mins at 180℃ in a tray . Do not forget to put some semolina in the tray.
- After this, remove crust from the oven,spread the pizza sauce on the crust . Put some tomatoes,basil leaves and mozzarella cheese and bake for another 5 mins.(until cheese melts).
And there is my pizza baked to perfection. I bake the crust first and on the bottom plate of oven I put some water so that the crust doesn’t turn hard. My oven takes lot of time to cook the crust hence I do it separately.